Wednesday, 24 March 2010

Water, water , everywhere


Rain pings on the corrugated iron roof. The bantams cluck, a cockerel crows and an Indian Runner lets out a loud cackle. Nice weather for ducks.


A pheasant shrieks his metallic cry, a robin chirrups in the hedgerow and an unseen aeroplane high above brings back Brits from faraway lands.


The visitor count to the gardens is slightly up today, in spite of the showers. I have managed to master the staff discount button on the till - yet another reason for me to get things I neither really want nor need. But my father's birthday is coming up and also my sister's. I wander around the shop, wondering what I might buy them, while rearranging leaflets that have curled up in the damp.


Should I go for shiny, shiny Fair Trade things from India or a locally-turned yew-wood toadstool as my very own talisman or a greetings card of an old oak tree?



Meanwhile the visitors wander around some of the most important and distinctive gardens in Dorset. Gardens famous for their romantic setting, varied planting and tranquility.

The peace is shattered by a fight among the bantams. The handyman comes in and asks for a wire coat hanger. I bristle, thinking he might be wanting to shut those hens up for good.

But he's trying to find a buried water pipe and needs the coat hanger for dowsing.


Oh, the joys of country life.

I'll keep you posted.

Love Maddie x

3 comments:

  1. I'd say a lovely place to nest on a rainy day .
    They do the Dowsing thing here too, especially in the rural parts, isn't it magical, a sort of hocus pocus 'Country' style.
    How lucky the in-laws will recieve a gift from The Manor, I'd wear that staff discount button out :)
    Have a lovely week !

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a grand place to spend your non-writing hours.
    There are people around here who dowse, but I've never met them or anyone who has had a well found that way.
    Over here we have been known to use a wire coat hanger, stretched out with a gentle hook bent on the end for catching the leg of the odd hen who won't come in at night. Gently, gently, but it works.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The handyman tells me nearly everyone can dowse, they just don't know how to do it. A while ago, we had a dowsing session at our local allotments society AGM (worth a read, it was a hoot) http://worldfrommywindow.blogspot.com/2008/11/maddies-back.html

    It was quite incredible, using the two metal rods which crossed erratically when they got near a great big pumpkin, which was full of water. I felt all-powerful.

    ReplyDelete

It's lovely to hear from you.